[HNA] Prof. Aviva Chomsky on the U.S. and the Honduran Coup

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 8 21:34:20 PDT 2009

The presentation by Prof. Aviva Chomsky at the first event of the Committee in Solidarity with the Resistance in Honduras on July 24, 2009 has been published in our website: www.hondurasresists.org, in the English section.

Please promote this article as it contains important clues to the present behavior of the Obama administration about the coup in Honduras.

Honduras: A Twenty-first Century Coup?
By Aviva Chomsky

07-24-2009.- We’ve heard a lot of talk about the coup in Honduras is a “twenty-first century coup,” with the implication that things are different now from the way they were in the twentieth century. Especially, people seem to think that things are different now that Obama is president of the United States.

Obviously, this coup did take place in the twenty-first century. But we should look closely at what has changed, and what remains the same, between the coups of the twentieth century and the current coup in Honduras. Let’s begin by looking at two of the main actors in the coups of the twentieth century: the United Fruit Company and the U.S. military.

[ + ]