[HNA] Amesty International Report on Human Rights Violations Honduras

Michelle Fuentes michelle.fuentes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:19:08 PDT 2009

 Honduras: human rights crisis threatens as repression increasesAmnesty
International Report 8/19/2009

“*We were demonstrating peacefully. Suddenly, the police came towards us,
and I started running. They grabbed me and shouted “why do you (all) support
Zelaya’s government? Whether it’s by choice or by force, you have to be with
this government”. They beat me. I have not yet been informed as to why I am
here detained.”*

[“Fernando”, 52 year-old teacher, at a police station in Tegucigalpa,
Honduras, 30 July 2009]

A delegation from Amnesty International visited Honduras from 28 July – 1
August 2009 to investigate reports of human rights violations following the
military-backed *coup d’etat* on 28 June. The delegation held meetings with
representatives from across a wide range of civil society and visited
persons in detention and several people receiving medical treatment in
hospitals. Where requested, the identity of those interviewed has been
withheld for their own safety.

Amnesty International is concerned that those wishing to participate in
peaceful protests against the *de facto* government risk being physically
attacked or being arbitrarily detained. Amnesty International is also
concerned that female protestors are particularly vulnerable and that some
women and girls taking part in the demonstrations are reportedly suffering
gender based violence and abuse at the hands of police officers.

Amnesty International is further concerned at the threats and physical
attacks carried out by police and military personnel against media workers
who are legitimately carrying out their important work covering events in
Honduras. Intimidation of human rights defenders, increased restrictions on
the ability of human rights defenders to move freely around the country and
the erratic imposition of curfews are frustrating the capacity of civil
society to monitor human rights violations across the country and limiting
the essential and legitimate work of human rights defenders.

Police and military commanding officers must immediately implement processes
to prevent violence, abuse and use of excessive force. The attorney
general’s office has an obligation to actively investigate all reports of
abuse, ill-treatment and torture and ensure that those responsible are
brought to justice. Amnesty International urges the Office of the Special
Prosecutor for Human Rights to pursue such complaints and calls on the
police and military authorities to cooperate fully with the investigations.

*Amnesty International strongly urges the international community to
intensify efforts to find a solution to the political crisis in order to
prevent the spiral into a human rights emergency in Honduras.*

--

-Michelle Fuentes

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does
not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children."   Kahlil
Gibran