[HNA] Fwd: Human Rights Delegation to Honduras - January 2010

Simon Rios elektrodread at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 19:17:00 PST 2009

** * * Please re-distribute this information * * * *

*RIGHTS ACTION invites you to join a …*

*HUMAN RIGHTS DELEGATION TO HONDURAS
January 24-31, 2010*

Since the June 28th oligarchic-military coup against the government of
President Zelaya, Rights Action – along with other North American activist
and solidarity groups – have been working hard to support the extraordinary
anti-coup, pro-democracy movement.

Now that the November 29th “elections” are over, this delegation will
overlap with the January 27th “formal transfer of power” from President
Zelaya to the incoming President-elect Pepe Lobo.  Anyone following the
situation in Honduras knows ‘free and fair’ elections were not held on
November 29th, President Zelaya is still effectively jailed inside the
Brazilian embassy in Tegucigalpa (capital city), and the “transfer of power”
looms as another key date in this long-term struggle against the
oligarchic-military regime.

More than an educational delegation (anyone who comes will learn a huge
amount about the background context that led to the military coup, about the
courage and spirit of Honduras’ peaceful pro-democracy movement and about
the nature and repression of the oligarchic-military regime), this will be a
human rights accompaniment and observation delegation.

We will have serious discussions with interested persons about the nature
and goals of this delegation, before people decide to join or not. If you
are considering joining this delegation, we urge you to read through our
series of Honduras Coup Alerts, found at www.rightsaction.org.

*THE PLAN *- Arrive in Tegucigalpa on Sunday January 24th.  Depart from
Tegucigalpa on Sunday January 31st.  Over the course of 6 full days in
Honduras, the delegation group will meet with Hondurans and North Americans
involved in the pro-democracy struggle and/or reporting on it; involved in
human rights defense work; involved in the pro-democracy movement and the
National Front Against the Coup.

The delegation may participate in, as international human rights observers,
a number of pro-democracy marches or gatherings; the delegation may visit,
as international human rights observers, people illegally detained in jail.
Closer to the actual dates, Rights Action will set out a 6-day itinerary.

*TYPE OF PARTICIPANT *- This is a serious human rights trip.  Members of the
group will have to be very flexible in terms of the itinerary we set up –
that is likely to change as the days go by!  We will strongly encourage
participants to do educational outreach and fund-raising work when they
return home.  Group members will have to commit to abide by general
guidelines as to how to act/ how not to act as a member of this
international human rights delegation.  Spanish speaking ability is a
bonus.  During the 6 days, Rights Action will provide translation for key
meetings; but there will be times (during possible participation in marches
and gatherings) when translation will not be possible.

*COST *- US$150 as a fee to Rights Action for delegation set-up,
translation, in-country guiding and planning, etc.  Delegates are
responsible for their in-country costs and travel to and from Honduras.  We
estimate in-country costs to be $25-$35/day for room and food.  In-country
transportation costs (taxis, possible van rides) are shared costs, and will
range from $5-$15/ day, depending on whether we stay in Tegucigalpa, or
travel outside the capital city.

*RISK* - We will have discussions with interested persons about the possible
risks involved with this delegation, before people decide to join or not.
Having said this, a good number of international human rights delegations
have visited Honduras since the June 28 coup.

*FOR MORE INFORMATION*:  Grahame Russell, info at rightsaction.org,
1-860-352-2448.

** * * Please re-distribute this information * * *
*

--
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters, this