[HNA] Letter from President Zelaya on the "death of the Tegucigalpa/San Jose Agreement"

Kaveri Rajaraman kaveri.rajaraman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:19:26 PST 2009

*

PRESIDENCY OF THE REPUBLIC

>From the Desk of the President
Tegucigalpa November 6, 2009
Translation by Patricia Adams, The Quixote Center.

DECLARATION

*Our weapon are ideas, our struggle is peaceful

Agreement Failed because of Micheletti's Failure to Comply.

In the face of the mockery that Mr. Micheletti has made of the Honduran
People and the International Community: boycotting the Tegucigalpa/San Jose
Agreement; letting the deadline for the creation of the Government of Unity
pass without convening the National Congress, as is within his power and
responsibility to do per the written agreement; the lack of a will to
fulfill the Agreement in both letter and spirit is clear; ignoring the Plan
Arias proposal, as well as the OAS and the UN resolutions; we declare that
the Agreement has been a failure, because of the failure of the de facto
regime to comply with the commitment to organize and install a government of
unity and national reconciliation by this date; a government which should by
law be presided over by the President elected by the People, José Manuel
Zelaya Rosales.

- We are not willing to give up the rights of the people by legitimating
this Coup d' etat.

- We do not accept the militarization of society nor that the President of
Honduras be named by the elite of the Armed Forces.

- Democracy is the highest good of society and is the only path for
confronting the problems of the third poorest economy in Latin America, and
therefore we are not willing to be cheated nor that our Democracy be robbed
from us.

- The permanent violations of Human Rights, the cancelation of public
freedoms, the confiscation of communication media, as well as the status of
the President elected by the people who is surrounded by the military inside
the Brazilian Embassy and the political witch hunting, is all proof of the
preparation of an enormous Political-Electoral fraud on November 29th.

- We announce that we will completely ignore this electoral process and the
results of the aforementioned evils, elections under a dictatorship are a
fraud for the people.

- We invite the Ministers of the OAS to make immediate pronouncements about
the actions of the government legitimately elected by the people of
Honduras, and to continue to condemn and ignore this de facto regime.

- On behalf of the people, we thank the International Community, the OAS,
Secretary Insulza, the ex-President of Chile Mr Ricardo Lagos Escobar, and
the US Labor Secretary Mrs Hilda Solís.

IFCO/PASTORS FOR PEACE
418 West 145th Street, 3-FL.
New York NY 10031
tel: 212.926.5757 - fax 212.926.5842 - e-mail
ifco at igc.org<http://us.mc344.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=ifco@igc.org>