[HNA] "Deal Reached in Honduras"

Simon Rios elektrodread at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 07:31:18 PDT 2009

 As was reported by the New York Times:Whether this is great news, good
news, or bad news depends on who you are. For the United States & for the
oligarchy in Honduras, it is great news. Zelaya will be reinstated, but will
be forced to share power with golpistas & recognize the elections a month
from now. It's a good arrangement for the liberals in Washington too:
simultaneously obliterate the power of the popular leader while maintaining
the democratic facade. In plain terms we have a new, "legitimate" model for
the countries of Latin America: overthrow the leftist, pull out his teeth,
then reinstall him on your own terms. Once again the United States
intervenes & molds the history of a small, poor nation in Latin America to
its liking.
>From the viewpoint of the resistance, however, I think it is good, not great
news. We recall that the first demand was always the reinstatement of Zelaya
to the presidency, and now this demand is being met. But this is only a GOAL
of the resistance, not the SOUL of the resistance. The resistance is for
creating a new order in Honduras, one which puts the people in power &
considers the social movement before anything else. With the presidency of
Zelaya & the military coup that ousted him, Honduras has changed forever.
Perhaps this is the close of a chapter, but it is the beginning of an epoch.
Now onward to the constituent assembly! To the popular government! To
solidarity among Latin American nations!
This is bad news only for that historical tendency in Latinoamerica towards
outright fascism. No more Bordaberris, Pinochetes, Videlas in the 19
countries from Mexico southwards. Our history seems to have absolved itself
of it's tolerance for that scourge, & it is because the people and
governments of America have said Basta! We rejoice at this bad news!

The members of our committee & all those who have supported us continue our
work in solidarity with the Honduran process. There is still everything to
resist in Honduras, only now, it seems we won't need to  the ouster of
Zelaya. In my eyes this is only more reason to continue doing this work.
Speaking of which, we have planned a meeting for this coming Wednesday, 6pm
at Encuentro 5.