[HNA] Action alert to support Zelaya

Kaveri Rajaraman kaveri.rajaraman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 07:25:30 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lisa, Latin America Working Group <vkritzer at lawg.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Subject: Zelaya Is Back
To: kaveri.rajaraman at gmail.com

    [image: Latin American Working Group]     * **Support Democracy in
Honduras*    Dear Kaveri,

The democratically elected President, Manuel Zelaya, is back in Honduras!
During the past three days, thousands of people have been gathering in the
streets outside the Brazilian Embassy--where Zelaya is currently staying--to
show their support. But the Honduran security forces have used tear gas and
violence to break up this demonstration.

What does this mean for a concerned activist in the United States like you?
If you were ever going to act, now is the time!

*Click here to contact the State Department today to urge them to take
strong, swift steps to support human rights and democracy in
Honduras.*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Z0Ta6tZC5d3i7iYG2QevhK3Yabl7xjt3>

Since it was *confirmed*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JLbF%2FV4%2BaKB%2FuJkGUodTtq3Yabl7xjt3>on
Monday, September 21st, that President Zelaya was in the country, the
coup regime has been violating human and civil rights. They surrounded the
Brazilian Embassy and cut off their power and water in an effort to get them
to turn him over. They used tear gas on the masses gathered outside and
imposed a curfew to clear the streets, detaining violators in a football
stadium where observers saw people who had been severely beaten. And on top
of all that, they have cut off all power to any alternative media outlets.

The State Department has come out with a
*statement*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=q2W7%2F%2BBKFjb0fz4y6%2BcYkK3Yabl7xjt3>saying
that "The United States calls on all parties to remain calm and avoid
actions that might provoke violence in Honduras…We stress the need for
dialogue…We encourage the parties to sign and implement immediately the San
Jose Accord, which remains the best approach to resolve this crisis." This
is good. But they must do more--and quickly.

*Click here to send a fax to the State Department
today<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Q8dlV0Cw%2B5YekxhM%2FYghZyEkoXHQjDgy>or
call them at 202-647-4000 to ask them to:
*
•    Issue a more emphatic statement demanding that the coup regime refrain
from any and all violations of human rights and freedom of expression;
•    Continue their calls for dialogue; and
•    Increase pressure on the de facto government to negotiate and to accept
the immediate reinstatement of President Zelaya.

In the past 89 days, Hondurans opposed to the coup have shown the world a
remarkable example of peaceful resistance. Now we must be strong in
solidarity with them as they struggle to reclaim their democracy.

Sincerely,

The LAWG Team
(Lisa, Mavis, Jenny, Paulo, Vanessa, and Brian)
*www.lawg.org*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CfOcS%2BnbQZAwD0WPwtZ7q63Yabl7xjt3>

P.S. *If your representative has not yet co-sponsored the house resolution
HRes 630, condemning the coup and supporting the reinstatement of the
democratically elected government in Honduras, click here to send them an
email to sign on today!
*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xLy1%2FajULWFlyqf%2FcxAsJq3Yabl7xjt3>

                    Latin America Working Group
424 C Street NE, Washington, DC 20002     Phone: (202) 546-7010     Email:
lawg at lawg.org<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LehpkjU%2FfQDgyviHeosnkSEkoXHQjDgy>

[image: Find Us]
    [image: Twitter]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ODY%2Fn7WlOLaSZxwR%2FRh6o63Yabl7xjt3>
[image: