[HNA] [Fwd: Karla Lara: Honduran Artist Visiting USA]

Tom Loudon toml at quixote.org
Wed Apr 7 06:30:03 PDT 2010

Dear Friends!

I am excited to announce the US tour of Karla Lara (www.karlalara.com
<http://www.karlalara.com>). She is one of the most famous Honduran
singers and has been invited to participate in the first ever Amnesty
International Human Rights Art Festival April 24-25 in DC. She also has
a concert scheduled at Busboys and Poets on Friday April 23rd.
You can see a list of events
here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karla-Lara/110941678934943?ref=ts

Karla's music has brought her to travel across Central America and has
two albums produced, 'Donde Andar' and 'Antes del Puente.' Having been
on the musical scene for over twenty years, Karla has used music in
promoting social movements and to challenge their "subjectivity [using]
poetry and song."

Karla has been instrumental in starting the first ever Central American
Feminist Band and has actively supported Artists in Resistance, a group
that has formed since the coup detat in Honduras on June 28 2009.

Some of Karla’s music can be found here:
Video: Antes del Puente
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBsFJlW6fA
Video: La Casa de la Justicia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rbs6kCKn6g
Video: CantArte Vida/Banda Feminista Centroamericana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUEUfGEF8nE

I look forward to being in touch to help coordinate efforts. I know it
is late notice, but she is available from April 20th until the 29th,
aside from the listed events on the Facebook page. While we currently
have no funds to make all this travel possible, we are hoping to
recuperate expenses by donations and some ticketed concerts, therefore
if your group/organization would like to host Karla but does not have
the funds, I am sure we can work something out. In Karla's words:
If you are interested in hosting Karla Lara please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is also wonderful to reconnect with many of you!

Thank you for all your efforts and all the work you do.

--
Sustainably,
Tamar