[HNA] STATEMENT on behalf of US activists on the murder of Vanessa Yamileth Zepeda

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 06:14:54 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 2/15/10, Hcottin at aol.com <Hcottin at aol.com> wrote:

From: Hcottin at aol.com <Hcottin at aol.com>
Subject: [Presente-Honduras] STATEMENT on behalf of US activists on the murder of Vanessa Yamileth Zepeda
To: toml at quixote.org, presente-honduras at lists.mayfirst.org, fian-honduras at googlegroups.com, hondurasusaresistencia at yahoo.com, celcas2000 at gmail.com, sub at sonic.net, lachapel1 at verizon.net
Date: Monday, February 15, 2010, 12:04 AM

Vanessa Yamileth Zepeda, 27 year old union leader, mother and nurse
assassinated in Honduras
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF U.S.  LABOR & PROGRESSIVE ACTIVISTS CONDEMNING THE
MURDER OF UNION LEADER VANESSA YAMILETH ZEPEDA & THE REPRESSION SWEEPING
HONDURAS
The right to organize is a basic human right of every worker. It is
a right defended by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In Honduras, that
right is being denied on a daily basis.
Since the 1980s, militarists in Honduras have trained paramilitary forces
to torture and murder labor unionists and other activists to prevent the people
from exercising their basic right to resist exploitation and
oppression.
 When the U.S.-backed military coup against the legally elected
President Jose Manuel Zelaya took place last June,  many of the military
participants were the perpetrators of this travesty. They discharged their
military, paramilitary and police forces to torture and murder labor union
leaders, students, LGBT activists and peasants.
The U.S. government may claim that the election of José "Pepe" Lobo
was a "triumph of democracy," but that is an out and out lie. The remnants and
new recruits of the genocidal U.S.- trained Battalion 3-16 are still conducting
political assassinations in Honduras.
 Since the coup, our fellow labor activists have been murdered at an
unprecedented rate, and murdered stealthily in a way that allows the Lobo
government to claim that these murders were not political.

 But the murder of the  leader of the SITRAIHSS labor union
(Workers Union for the Honduran Social Security Institute),  Vanessa
Zepeda,  who was abducted when she was leaving a union meeting, leaves no
doubt in our minds that this is an OFFICIAL POLICY and OFFICIAL COVER-UP by
the fraudulently  elected Lobo government.
 We
the undersigned members of U.S. labor unions as well as progressive
organizations, declare our opposition to this official policy of neo- fascist
repression in Honduras, and call upon our own unions to denounce this
illegitimate government, and to support our fellow unionists in
Honduras.
. .
Furthermore, we oppose the enabling role the U.S. government
has played in the election and “legitimizing” of the Lobo regime, which is only
an attempt to justify and sanitize the criminal coup of June
2009.

Anne Pruden
Bryan G. Pfeifer, Staff Organizer, Union of Part-Time Faculty-AFT, Wayne
State University, Detroit*
Gavrielle Gemma
Greg Dunkel, Professional Staff
Congress-CUNY
Heather Cottin:  Plainview-Old Bethpage Congress of Teachers:
Retired, PSC-CUNY
LeiLani Dowell, Fight Imperialism, Stand
Together
Martha Grevatt , Chair, Civil and Human Rights Committee, UAW Local
122*
Milt Rosenberg
Sean P. Schafron, Coraopolis, PA 15108
Teresa Gutierrez, National IAC Coordinator,  Immigrant and Latin
American Projects, Co-Coordinator May 1st Coalition
Berta H. Joubert-Ceci, MD, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania
Dave Welsh: Delegate, San Francisco (Calif.) Labor
Council
Gloria Rubac, Houston Federation of Teachers, Local 2415,
Retired
Joan Marquardt
Leslie Feinberg: Co-founder Rainbow Solidarity for the Cuban
5
Mike Gimbel; DC 37, New York City Labor Council
Delegate
Michael Kramer, Jersey City, New Jersey, Vets for
Peace
Monica Moorehead, Millions for Mumia
Shelley Ettinger, member, AFT Local
3882
Sue Harris, co-director- Peoples Video
Network
Wellington Echegaray, Colombian activist
Sharon Black, Bail Out the People Movement Union
Coordinator
Joe Piette, Mail Handlers Union,
Philadelphia
Brenda Stokely, Million Worker March
Hannah
Frisch, Chicago
Mike
Gimbel, Local 375 AFSCME Chair of Labor/Community Unity
Committee
Abayomi
Azikiwe, Editor of the Pan-African News Wire
Gregory Butterfield, member, National Organization of Legal Service
Workers Local 2320, UAW *
Michelle Gore-Butterfield, member, Theatrical Wardrobe Union Local 764,
IATSE *
Nayereh Tohidi, Ph.D, Professor,Department of Gender & Women's
Studies, California State University, Northridge
Tom
Paine Cronin
Chuck
Kaufman, Alliance for Global Justice
Andy
Griggs, L.A. -United Teachers Los Angeles (NEA/AFT)*, Screen Actors Guild*,
Actor's Equity* For identification purposes only
Ron Chew, Oak Park, IL 60302
Maria Urbina Gonzalez
Diana Canales
Dale Sorensen, California, USA
Allan
Fisher, AFT Local 2121
Chito
Quijano, Auditor, International League of Peoples' Struggle & Lead
Organizer, CNA/National Nurses United
Panama
Alba
Louis