[HNA] Statement #48 from the Resistance - to the Group of Rio

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 17:09:33 PST 2010

Frente Nacional Resistencia Popular

To the representatives of the States and Governments that integrate
the Rio Group brought together in Cancún Mexico for the occasion of the
twenty third Rio Group summit we express:
1.            Honduras continues under a de facto regime, installed
and maintained through force and arms since June 28 of 2009 until this
date, a period in which the Honduran nation has been the subject of
constant human rights violations.
2.            The illegitimacy and illegality of the present regime
attempts to conceal itself through changes of faces that administer the
State, but which obey the same groups of power which order repression
and murder and that prevent the development of a true democracy.
3.            The electoral process with which the regime attempts
to validate the new figures of the dictatorship was evidently illegal
because it was undertaken and administered by authorities’ accomplice
to the military coup and prevented the free participation of the
political opposition, as well as ignoring the atmosphere of terror. For
such reasons this process was not observed by any government, mechanism
of regional integration or any institution of credibility. Such a
process also is illegitimate, because the great majority of the
Honduran population did not vote and do not recognize the results.
Furthermore the pueblo continues it´s nonviolent struggle to defeat the
present totalitarian regime and to return to democratic order.
4.            The human rights situation is severe and is worsening.
During the last few weeks more murders, harassments and persecution
have been registered against people organized in the Resistencia
Popular. From the heads in charge of directing security bodies of the
State a military offensive has been announced to end opposition to the
regime.
5.            Diverse sectors of the international community,
sympathetic governments, social organizations and defenders of human
rights have showed their rejection to the present government. For such
reasons we declare:
a.            We request to the representatives of Governments and
States that integrate the Rio Group to that maintain their stance of
non-recognition of the Honduran dictatorship until democratic
constitutional order is reestablished and the violations of the human
rights cease.
b.            We will continue our struggle without concern for the actions of State terror undertaken by the coup participants.
c.            We thank the Governments and social organizations for
their worry regarding the serious situation that our country is
undergoing and the actions of solidarity to overcome the crisis.
Tegucigalpa M.D.C., Honduras  Februray 19 2010