[HNA] Honduras: The struggle continues 2010

Tom Loudon toml at quixote.org
Wed Jan 6 09:52:07 PST 2010

Quixote Center Announcement

Dear Friends

The situation in Honduras remains tense after a somber holiday, marked
by violence targeting progressive journalists and other movement
leaders.   On New Year's Day, COFADEH (Committee of the Detained and
Disappeared of Honduras) held a vigil in the Plaza of the Disappeared,
calling on the international community to be especially vigilant given
the approaching "transfer of power" on January 27th when the "military
coup regime, becomes an illegitimate government of force."
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fcofadeh-vigil-new-years-day-warnings-death-squads-and-dirty-war>

The broad based National Front of Popular Resistance has called for
marches on January 7^th and the 27^th to advance the call for a popular
Constituent Assembly and a new social pact for the country.

The Quixote Center is organizing the ninth in a series of Human Rights
Accompaniment Delegations to Honduras from January 24-31, 2010. Please
see the Report from the November "Elections" Delegation.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fsites%2Fqc%2Ffiles%2F8th%2520Delegation%2520Report.pdf>

It you are interested in joining this delegation, please contact
jennya at quixote.org <mailto:jennya at quixote.org> for more information.

Due to constant threats, a steady stream of people involved in the
resistance has had to leave the country.  We have begun working with the
resistance movement to find emergency and longer term housing in
Nicaragua where we have a strong support network. We hope to soon set up
a kind of 'safe house' where people can land. More details on this to come.

Visit our website www.quixote.org
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quixote.org%2F>
for reports and updates from Honduras and information about future
Accompaniment Delegations.

In Solidarity,
Jenny Atlee

*Quixote Center