[HNA] Bertha Casares Detained tonight in La

Tom Loudon toml at quixote.org
Sun Jun 27 21:45:55 PDT 2010

Shortly after 9:00 pm this evening, Bertha Casares from COPINH was
detained in La Esperanza.  About an hour later Bertha Oliva was able to
speak with her by phone.  She is being charged with threatening and
injuring a police- in fact the head of the station.

 Bertha Casares adamantly denies that she has done this, saying that how
would it occur to attack someone who his heavily armed, including
wearing a bullet proof vest.  Another member of the COPINH leadership,
Salvador, who is a lawyer is filing papers to have her conditionally
released, but when I called the post around the same time, they told me
that she was being processed and would be sent to DNIC to be detained.

We are asking that people call the police station and the DNIC.  The
police station numbers are 504-783-0670, 504-783-1007 and 504-783-7272.
One person allegedly in charge of the police station is named Alan
Domingas.  The number of the DNIC is 504-783-1505. The person I spoke
with is Ernesto Mejia.

Obviously the timing of the arrest seems like more than mere
coincidence.  Please call and have others call the numbers and ask:
Where is she being held?  Who is the official in charge there?  Ask to
speak with the person in charge.  What is she charged with?  If she is
going to be released on habeas corpus, and if so when?  If not, where
will she be held?

All of these things might make the police act with more caution, and
improve the treatment she receives.

Thank you,