[HNA] "AGUA FOR HAITI" (English and Español)

Les Blough, Editor, Axis of Logic Newsletter les at axisoflogic.com
Tue May 25 07:30:48 PDT 2010

This email newsletter was sent to you in graphical HTML format.
If you're seeing this version, your email program prefers plain text emails.
You can read the original version online:
http://ymlp76.com/z5opVt

Axis of Logic ( http://axisoflogic.com/ )

Finding Clarity in the 21st Century
Mediaplex
May 25, 2010

Axis of Logic Newsletter

(EnEspañol, abajo)

A Request for Donations

AGUA FOR HAITÍ !

Dear Friends of Axis of Logic and Haiti,

One of the many problems Haitians face today, after the earthquake
that struck on January 12, 2010 is their lack of potable water. Now
that the rainy season has arrived, the problem has become even more
severe. The Axis of Logic Foundation has organized a project for
sending clean drinking water at a very low cost to Haiti from
Venezuela. Read more details below about the water need and solutions
for Haiti and the measures we are taking for accountability. As of May
24, we have collected $780 of the $4,000 needed for the first
shipment of 9,000 litres of potable water. Our readers number in the
millions worldwide and no contribution is too small. We thank everyone
who has already contributed to this worthy project. You can contribute
to “Agua for Haiti” in any of the following 3 ways:

* PayPal: The simplest way is to go to our PayPal link (
http://axisoflogic.com/contrib/ ) on the Axis of Logic website, click
on Agua for Haiti, type in "Haiti" in the description box, enter the
amount and follow PayPal instructions. If you have never before sent
money using PayPal it's very simple and secure, sending your donation
either from your credit card or bank account. When making these
payments, PayPal never reveals either your credit card or bank account
number.

* Check and Mail: Alternatively, if you prefer, you can send a
check to:

Axis of Logic
c/o Peter Dougal, CPA
25 Sunset Road
Somerville, MA 02144

Please make the check out to Axis of Logic and note "Agua for Haiti"
at the bottom of the check.

* Bank to Bank Transfer:  The third option available for donations
is to transfer funds directly from your bank to the following Axis of
Logic bank account in Boston.

East-West Bank
Boston, Massachusetts
Account Name: Axis of Logic
Account No. 0410028013
Routing No. 011002877

Please keep in mind that if you make a bank-to-bank transfer there
will be a transfer fee. In this case, it's best to ask your bank about
the cost of a transfer.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me
personally at les at axisoflogic.com. We would also appreciate a brief
e-mail message from you, identifying yourself and telling us how much
you contributed. I will reply by email or call you if you include your
telephone number and include your country’s code. On behalf of the
people of Haiti, The Axis of Logic Foundation and the Axis of Logic
Editorial Board, thank you very much for your donation.

More information on this project

Haiti’s need for potable water

Haiti's coverage levels in urban and rural areas are the lowest in the
hemisphere for both water supply and sanitation. Sewer systems and
wastewater treatment are nonexistent. Coverage figures do not give an
indication of service quality, which is generally quite poor. In rural
areas, systems have often fallen into disrepair. They either do not
provide any water service at all or provide service only to those
close to the source, with those at the end of the system
("tail-enders") remaining without water. In almost all urban areas
water supply is intermittent.

Using the broadest definition of accessible water from all sources (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_Haiti ),
only 52% of urban populations and 54% of rural populations have access
to water. Only 24% of those living in urban areas and only 11% have
house connections to water.

Making water accessible to all

There is no doubt that well-drilling, water purification plants and a
desalination plant are the best long-term solutions for the country.
But until these utilities are in place, Haitians are in desperate need
of bottled, potable water that can be distributed to people who have
little or no access in unsupplied areas. The objective of Axis of
Logic’s Agua for Haiti program is send containers of bottled water
that can be delivered to Haiti from Venezuela. One of the advantages
of  this project involves the cost of transportation. The Venezuelan
government will transport the water we purchase to Haiti free of
charge. We have negotiated the lowest possible cost of bottled water
from the Lider Water Company in Maracay. As of May 21, we have
collected about $500 of the $4,000 needed for the first shipment of
9,000 litres of potable water.

Please let us list some reasons why we are asking you to contribute to
this worthy project.

* Haiti’s need for potable water is critical. Part of the need for
water is being met by wonderful organizations like Oxfam but there is
a growing deficit for clean drinking water in Haiti. As the rainy
season begins, existing water will become even more contaminated by
flood waters due to the earthquake-collapse of Haiti’s
infrastructure and sewage systems. Collecting rainwater in Haiti
increases the risk of mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and
malaria. At least until Haiti’s infrastructure and storm sewer
system has been rebuilt Haitians are in desperate need of drinking
water.

* Venezuela has been at the forefront of aid to Haiti from the first
day after the earthquake. Thousands of medical teams and other relief
workers have been living in tents with the Haitian people and
providing practical care on a daily basis – with no strings
attached. The Venezuelan government has forgiven Haitain petroleum
debt. Thanks to the Venezuelan Government, the water we are shipping
to Haiti involves no transportation or other intermediary costs. We
are able to keep our administrative costs (establishing the
Fundación, negotiating prices, organizing transportation, travel, and
fundraising) at a bare minimum.

* This “foreign aid” involves no exhorbitant administrative costs
and “no strings attached.” This differs from the practices of some
international relief organizations. Your donation goes directly to a
bottle of water in the hands of a mother, father or child in Haiti.

* The water you purchase will come from the Lider Water Company in
Maracay, Venezuela.  We were able to negotiate the lowest price for
the highest quality drinking water available. We pay only 46% of the
retail price in Venezuela. We plan to follow the first transportation
of the water and photograph the process as a supplement to our next
appeal to the general public – our millions of Axis of Logic
readers.

* To the extent possible, we will provide photos and reports of the
water delivery to Haiti. These weekly progress reports will be
displayed prominently on the front page of Axis of Logic. We will
provide to the public a detailed accounting for monies contributed and
spent in this endeavor.

With these things in mind, we are asking you to join us and do your
best to help buy good water in significant quantities, at the lowest
possible price, with absolute confidence that together, we will
achieve our goal – Agua for Haiti.

Please note that we have been receiving donations and paying bills via
PayPal for 6 years and have never encountered a single problem. If you
have any questions, please feel free to contact me personally at
les at axisoflogic.com. I will reply by email or call you if you include
your telephone number and include your country’s code. On behalf of
the people of Haiti and the Axis of Logic Editorial Board, thank you
very much for your contribution.

Viva Haiti!
Les Blough, President
Board of Directors