[HNA] testimonio of a business (english & espanol)

Simon Rios elektrodread at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:32:51 PDT 2009

Friends,
I just translated this article orginally posted on
http://hondurascontraelgolpedeestado.blogspot.com/ See below for the version
in Spanish.

My name is Arquímedes Alfaro Riestra, a Honduran businessman dedicated to
the industrial production of kitchen utensils, member of the high council of
the Private Businesses of Honduras, and I want to let the world know what is
being prohibited in my country.

All the Honduran people are suffering a crisis that has out without food in
the markets, a scarcity of combustibles, blackouts during the work day that
prevents us from working, a military presence in all the streets,
repression, and the soldiers don’t even ask for our identity, they beat us
and send us home.

In the neighboring barrios of my business there is no water, and I have
given from our cistern principally to the children. There is famine among
the poor, and as a Christian there is nothing one can do.

My business has been taken by 30 soldiers who are there all the time. They
have sacked a great portion of my tools. Of my 20 employees 15 have been
detained without charges for more than a month now. One of my best workers,
of Nicaraguan origin, named Ramón Arellano Araùz, was taken prisoner two
weeks ago. They severely beat him in front of all the employees and since
that date he has not appeared. On the outskirts of Tegucigalpa 30 bodies
turned up dead. I went with some of my employees to see if they recognized
the Nicaraguan but he wasn’t among the dead. The majority were youth of 18
to 19 years, all partly burnt, tied by the hands with wire and with bullets
in the head. There was a human rights group present collecting gun-shells
and I believe they were from M-16s.

The organization of businessmen convoked an urgent meeting during which they
asked us for two things: donate $5,000 to a fund in favor of the golpista
regime, and write to the exterior saying that everything is calm here. I
haven’t done either of these. I don’t believe in lying to the world about
something that pains my heart so much. Everyday I’m seeing people die at the
hands of the military. There is desperation amongst the people. Many want to
confront the military even if it means they will be killed. Nobody has arms
but they are looking for ways to defend themselves.

I am selling everything I can and getting my family ready to leave the
country. I have another business in El Salvador and have sent some of my
equipment there already. Of my three children, two have already left. Now
it’s only me, my youngest, and my wife.

I ask all citizens of the world not to forget us. In Honduras an incredible
thing has happened. When we saw the streets full of heavily armed soldiers
it reminded us of the dictatorship. Now we see the dictatorship again,
wanting to kill us all. Don Manuel Zelaya wasn’t perfect and committed
errors during his presidency, but he’s the only one in the last 20 years
that has worked for everyone, especially for the poor. He even helped the
businesses after they betrayed him, including me, because without knowing it
I was contributing to a fund destined to support the high command of the
military.

Now all that is left is that the world help us restore order in Honduras.

4. Carta abierta de un empresario hondureño.

Soy Arquímedes Alfaro Riestra, empresario hondureño dedicado a la
producción industrial de utensilios de cocina, miembro del concejo superior
de la Empresa Privada de Honduras y quiero hacer saber al mundo lo que
en mi país nos está prohibido:

Todos los hondureños estamos sufriendo una crisis que nos tiene sin
comida en los mercados y supermercados, escasez de combustible, cortes
de energía eléctrica en horas laborales que nos impide trabajar, presencia
militar en todas las calles, represión, ya la guardia ni pregunta la
identidad,
solamente te golpean y mandan a casa.

En los barrios aledaños a mi empresa no hay agua, la cisterna que tenia
para mi trabajo la he regalado principalmente para los niños, hay hambre
en la pobretería y uno como cristiano nada pueda hacer.

Mi empresa está tomada por 30 efectivos que permanecen todo el tiempo,
han saqueado gran parte de mis herramientas, de 20 empleados operarios,
15 están detenidos sin cargo alguno y de eso hace mas de un mes, uno de
mis mejores operarios es de origen nicaragüense, de Ocotal, se llama
Ramón Arellano Araùz, desde hace dos semanas lo vinieron a traer preso,
lo golpearon duramente frente a los demás empleados y desde esa fecha
no aparece, por el lado de la salida sur de Tegucigalpa aparecieron como
30 personas muertas, fui con otros empleados a ver si reconocía al nica,
pero ninguno era él, la mayoría eran jóvenes de unos 18 0 19 años, todos
estaban semi quemados, amarrados de las manos con alambres y con tiros
en la cabeza, pude observar a un grupo de derechos humanos recogiendo
casquillos de armas y por mis conocimientos eran casquillos de M-16.

La organización nos convocó a una asamblea urgente en la que nos pidió
que hiciéramos dos cosas; donar cinco mil dólares para un fondo de apoyo
al gobierno golpista y escribir al exterior diciendo que todo está en calma,
ninguna de las cosas he hecho, no estoy de acuerdo en engañar al mundo
de algo que me duele en el corazón, a diario estoy viendo morir gente a
manos de los militares, hay desesperación en el pueblo, muchos quieren
enfrentar a los militares aunque los maten, nadie tiene armas pero están
buscando como hacer para defenderse.

Yo estoy vendiendo todo lo que puedo y alistando a mi familia para salir del
país, tengo otra empresa en el Salvador y ya envié parte de los equipos
para ese país, de mis 3 hijos, ya 2 están fuera, solo me acompañe el menor
y mi esposa, creo que los otros corren peligro por la represión.

Le pido a todos los ciudadanos del mundo no olvidarnos, en Honduras se
dio un hecho increíble, cuando vimos las calles llenas de militares
fuertemente armados recordamos los años de dictadura ahora vemos de
nuevo a esa dictadura queriendo matarnos a todos, Don Mel Zelaya pudo
tener defectos y cometer errores como presidente, pero es el único que en
los últimos 20 años trabajo para todos, principalmente para los pobres,
ayudó a la empresa privada que después lo traicionó, incluyéndome a mi,
por que sin saberlo estuve aportando dinero a un fondo destinado a
sobornar a los altos militares.

Ahora solo nos queda que el mundo ayude a regresar las cosas a su lugar,
es triste ver en las calles a los militares golpeando gente, entre ellos he
visto a hombres cheles de tipo norteamericano dando órdenes a los
soldados.

Gracias por divulgar mi testimonio y que Dios los bendiga.