[HNA] Uribe at Harvard 25th September

Kaveri Rajaraman kaveri.rajaraman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 17:31:43 PDT 2009

Hola!

As many of you may have heard, Uribe will be speaking at Harvard at
2 pm, hosted in a discussion by the David Rockefeller Center for Latin
American Studies from *2:00-3:15pm on Friday, September 25*, in Conference
Room A, 5th floor of the Taubman Building, Harvard Kennedy School.
Then he will speak at 6 pm in a more general talk at 6 pm the same day, at
the IOP (Institute of Politics), also at the Kennedy
School at 79 J.F. Kennedy Street, Cambridge MA, 02138. (One can try for
tickets to this forum at
http://www.iop.harvard.edu/Events-Meetings/JFK-Jr.-Forum-Calendar/TICKETED-FORUM-A-Public-Address-by-His-Excellency-Álvaro-Uribe,-President-of-the-Republic-of-Colombia<http://www.iop.harvard.edu/Events-Meetings/JFK-Jr.-Forum-Calendar/TICKETED-FORUM-A-Public-Address-by-His-Excellency-%C3%81lvaro-Uribe,-President-of-the-Republic-of-Colombia>
)
The next morning, Saturday September 26, he will apparently speak from 9-12
a.m. to people at the East Boston High School, 86 White Street, East Boston
MA 02128. Dario wants to organize a march and is seeking help for permits
etc.

Many of us have separately begun preparations to greet Uribe with some kind
of protest of the human rights violations he has presided over and I have
CC'd as many different forces as I know of who are doing this work. I will
report on those groups of people from whom I have received feedback so far,
and also ask others CC'd on this email for their input.

We need to figure out as a group which actions to target, in what way. Will
enough people be available to protest the 2 pm talk? Should we focus on the
6 pm talk for that day (for which we should be out there at 5 pm, because
people start to enter by 5:30 pm)? Can we get the Harvard protestors to join
the folks protesting in East Boston the next day?

So far, Ana Zambrano of Colombia Vive says they are planning something and
are interested in working with everyone who can join... Dario Zapata's
group El Polo Democratico Alternativo is also planning something and are
meeting Wednesday at 3 pm at Encuentro 5, 33 Harrison Ave, Chinatown,
Boston; Stop the Wars will also be discussing this at their meeting tonight
at 6:30 pm at the same space.

Ana suggested another meeting in the future or a conference call to
coordinate this among ourselves. Several groups at Harvard will also be
ready to protest and will follow the lead of Colombian and other Latin
American community groups.

paz
Kaveri