[HNA] Honduras HR update

Sofia JarrinT sofiajt at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 06:48:16 PDT 2010

My apologies I haven´t been updating the site as much as I should. If anyone has human rights-related updates, I´ll be happy to post them. Here´s a few:

Honduran activists present human rights report in Boston, Mass.
http://hondurashumanrights.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/honduran-activists-present-human-rights-report-in-boston-mass/
BOSTON/Government Center – Two Honduran activists presented the findings of a recent report by the Honduran human rights organization Committee  of Relatives of Detained and Disappeared in Honduras (COFADEH) to an audience of over 30 concerned area residents at City Hall last  Wednesday. The report accuses the recently-elected Honduran President Porfirio Lobo Sosa of presiding over a dictatorship that is prosecuting grave human rights abuses on its own population.

MUCA signs agreement with government, says repression continues
http://hondurashumanrights.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/muca-signs-agreement-with-government-says-repression-continues/
After a long and exhausting negotiating session between the Unified Peasant Movement of Aguán (MUCA) and the government, the parties signed a Deed of Commitment that incorporates part of the counterproposal made by the farmer organization.

Also see: http://nicaraguaymasespanol.blogspot.com/2010/04/bases-del-muca-aceptaron-firmar-acuerdo.html

Threats to Radio Progreso
http://hondurashumanrights.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/threats-to-radio-progreso/

Freedom of expression continues to be threatened and with it the  liberty for the free exercise of journalism and full enjoyment of this right by the citizens of Honduras. To the Honduran people and to the international community we denounce the fact that RADIO PROGRESO continued to receive threats because of its informative work. These threats were reported at the moment of occurence to the national police entities and to international human rights organisms.