[HNA] Call-in Solidarity with victims of State Terror in Honduras

Tom Loudon toml at quixote.org
Thu Feb 11 08:28:01 PST 2010

Quixote Center Announcement

	Dear Friends,

Since the November elections in Honduras which resulted in the
installation of Porfilio Lobo as President on January 27, 2010, the
human rights situation in Honduras has continued to
deteriorate. According to human rights organizations, there is a marked
increase in selective targeting of people and communities active in the
resistance movement. Despite a public discourse of reconciliation on the
part of Lobo, partners in Honduras are experiencing increased levels of
state terror.
In the month of January, the Committee of the Families of the Detained
and Disappeared of Honduras documented the death of seven resistance
members, as well as 12 other targeted incidents including beatings,
detentions and disappearance. People continue to flee the country to
protect their lives.
The deadly pace continues in February
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Limm5W4h9Xg5OkDtX518PlEVgIudr4Y0>
with the murder of Vanessa Zepeda, a 29 year old nurse, active member of
the Vanessa Zepeda at a Resistance marchresistance movement and
SITRAIHASS union organizer (in photo). On Feb. 3, Vanessa left her home
at 2pm; at approximately 6:30 pm, her lifeless body was dumped out of a
vehicle in Loarque, a neighborhood with strong links to the resistance
movement.  Vanessa was the mother of three children; the youngest is 4
months old.
The United States was a major backer of the highly contested elections
in Honduras and is pushing for international recognition of the new
government as a U.S. certified democracy. For many however, the
deepening human rights crisis attests to the fact that the elections
have institutionalized the military dictatorship. The targeted murder of
Vanessa is typical of the current counterinsurgency campaign being waged
in Honduras.

On Friday, Feb. 12, the SITRAIHASS union that Vanessa worked for has
called for a march in Tegucigalpa. We can stand in solidarity with
Vanessa and the people of Honduras by  calling your  U.S. Senators and
Representatives
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xn9QSAHe36fVGv15jAKIWSgPLZhsA6mS>
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=c7qge1mKRAdkCvl7RUePWkvEY2MGNcrq>to
let them know that:
       1.   We are alarmed at the growing human rights crisis in
Honduras under the government of Porfirio Lobo.
       2.   We will not tolerate the funding of state terror in Honduras
with U.S. tax dollars.

Quixote Center staff will be in Honduras next week.  Please visit our
website
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8QYhNqrD7977aakTc4aCACgPLZhsA6mS>
for updates and information.

Jenny Atlee