[HNA] URGENT-Ask your Congressperson to speak out in Honduras hearing tomorrow

Tom Loudon toml at quixote.org
Wed Mar 17 12:38:34 PDT 2010

Quixote Center Announcement

Dear Friend,

Tomorrow, March 18th at 2pm the Foreign Affairs Committee is holding a
hearing titled "Next Steps for Honduras."  This comes just one week
after a hearing on U.S. policy in Latin America featuring Otto Reich - a
flash back to the worst of U.S. policy during the 1980's deadly U.S.
sponsored counterinsurgency campaigns.

These hearings follow Sec. of State Clinton's visit to Latin America
earlier this month where she announced that the United States would be
restoring aid to Honduras based on the "successful conclusion of the
crisis...without violence" and praised the establishment of a "Truth
Commission" in Honduras.

The reality in Honduras stands in stark contrast to Sec. Clinton's
statements.  National and international human rights organizations have
widely denounced the violent attacks against political opposition in
Honduras, which continues under the Lobo government, including over 40
murders in the last 8 months.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fsites%2Fqc%2Ffiles%2FCOFADEH%2520REGISTRY%2520OF%2520DEATHS%2520SINCE%2520COUP_0.pdf>

The Human Rights Platform in Honduras
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fsites%2Fqc%2Ffiles%2FPLATAFORMA%2520press%2520release%25202.18.10%2520English_0.pdf>,
which includes each of Honduras' key human rights organizations, has
rejected the "Truth Commission" promoted by the Lobo and U.S.
governments stating that it is politically compromised.

Our representatives in Congress need to hear from us.  We have sent a
letter
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fsites%2Fqc%2Ffiles%2FHonduras%2520WHEM%2520TruthCommission%2520response%2520letter.f_0.pdf>,
signed by over 40 organizations, to key members of Congress raising our
concerns about the direction of U.S. policy in Honduras.  We are urging
members to ask hard questions during this Hearing.

*Please help by making sure your members of Congress hear from you today!  *

* *

-          * Call your members of Congress today and ask for the email
for the Foreign Affairs staffer.*

-          * Send the staffer our letter
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquixote.org%2Fsites%2Fqc%2Ffiles%2FHonduras%2520WHEM%2520TruthCommission%2520response%2520letter.f_0.pdf>
*

-          * Urge the staffer to raise the concerns outlined in the
letter during tomorrow's Hearing. *

* *

There have been more murders this week in Honduras.  People are
frightened.  They are facing the fear of state sponsored terror by
organizing and deepening their vision of a new Honduras in which the
rights of all are respected.

Partners in Honduras are paying attention to this Hearing due to the
impact of U.S. policy on their lives and efforts to bring about social
change.  Please help to make sure their voices are present in the
hearing on "Next Steps for Honduras" tomorrow.

* *

Thank you!

Jenny Atlee

Quixote Center