[HNA] URGENT CALL on Human Rights Violations in Honduras & the Assassination of Activists

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 08:50:49 PST 2016

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Centro Presente <pmontes at cpresente.org>
 To: sreyes1 at yahoo.com
 Sent: Friday, March 4, 2016 11:33 AM
 Subject: URGENT CALL on Human Rights Violations in Honduras & the Assassination of Activists

@media screen and (max-width:480px){#yiv7168865309 table .filtered99999 , #yiv7168865309 img .filtered99999 , #yiv7168865309 td .filtered99999 , #yiv7168865309 span[class="yiv7168865309HideInMobile"] {display:none;}#yiv7168865309 td .filtered99999 , #yiv7168865309 table .filtered99999 , #yiv7168865309 span .filtered99999 {display:block;}#yiv7168865309 .yiv7168865309FooterText {line-height:1.6 !important;}}
|  |

| Having trouble viewing this email?Click here |

 |  |

|  |

URGENT CALL on Human Rights Violations in Honduras & the Assassination of Activists
 Dear Friends and Allies, Centro Presente wants to invite you all to an important conversation and update on the state of human rights violations in Honduras and the social movements that are fighting against the powerful forces behind these crimes. This situation is the direct cause for the massive waves of Honduran migrants entering this country without documentation. And while many are fleeing the crime and impunity there are those who remain and fight against it, such as Berta Cáceres, who sadly become martyrs for their causes.

On Monday, 7 March at 6:00 pm Eastern time we will have a teleconference with Gerardo Torres, a Honduran journalist and activist who will provide an overview of the current state of human rights abuses and the social movements against them in Honduras.

Here is the call-in info:  Number to dial: 312-971-2748 / PIN: 42868

Honduras has consistently had one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world since the coup d'état they experienced in 2009. Every 17 hours a woman is murdered in Honduras and the high rates of impunity ensure that the perpetrators of these crimes are never punished. In terms of the violence of poverty, 80% of the population lives in poverty.

Berta Cáceres was a leader in the Council of Indigenous Peoples of Honduras (COPINH), an indigenous rights and environmental organization which has been engaged in a battle against hydroelectric dam projects in the lands of the Lenca people in Central Honduras. A winner of the 2015 Goldman Environmental Prize, her international notoriety did not protect her from the rampant, political violence targeting human rights activists in Honduras.

We hope you can join us.

| Join Our Mailing List! |

| Centro Presente12 Bennington StreetBoston, Massachusetts 02128 |

|   |

|  |

| Centro Presente, 12 Bennington Street, Boston, MA 02128 |

| Forward email | Update Profile | About our service provider |

| Sent by pmontes at cpresente.org in collaboration with |

|  |

 |  |