[HNA] Mexican activist Gustavo Castro, witness to Berta Caceres assassination needs our support

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 06:58:21 PST 2016

MEXICAN ENVIRONMENTALIST, GUSTAVO CASTRO, WITNESS TO THEASSASSINATION OF COMMUNITY LEADER BERTA CASTRO, RETAINED IN HONDURAS FOR ANADDITIONAL 30 DAYS
http://www.resumenlatinoamericano.org/2016/03/08/genera-amplio-repudio-la-retencion-por-30-dias-del-activista-mexicano-gustavo-castro-testigo-del-asesinato-de-berta-caceres/ President of Honduras,The Supreme Court of Honduras,
We reject thedecision of the Attorney General of Honduras who yesterday March 7 extended for30 days a migratory warning that prevents the Mexican activist Gustavo CastroSoto to return home.This decision is unwarranted and unnecessary: ​​GustavoCastro, who was wounded during the assassination of Berta Caceres on March 3 inLa Esperanza, Intibuca, Honduras, has provided sufficient information to theprosecution to clarify the facts of the crime. In addition, it has not beeninformed of what legal proceeding are still missing to hold him.On March 6, the Attorney General of Honduras verballyassured Gustavo Castro inside the Embassy of Mexico in Tegucigalpa that afterproviding his statement on March 7 in La Esperanza, he could leave the country.
As he is being forcefully held in Honduras, Gustavo Castrois not being treated as a victim of an assassination attempt, but rather theyare risking his life and violating his right to free movement. We clarify that theenvironmental coordinator of the organization “Other Worlds A.C./ Friends ofthe Earth Mexico,” never refused to cooperate with the prosecution to clarifythe murder of the Lenca leader Berta Caceres, who was the coordinator of theCouncil of Popular and Indigenous Organizations (COPINH).
Like COPINH, we demand that the investigaton of this crimebe directed towards the company Desarrollos Energeticos S.A. (DESA), developerof the dam Agua Zarca, against which COPINH has spent years fighting withdignity. At the same time it is necessary to position the fight of COPINH andBerta for the defense of land and territory against various companies andcorporations as the motive for the abominable murder of the environmentaladvocate.
We thank theAmbassador of Mexico in Honduras, Dolores Jimenez, who since March 3 has putall his energy and influence to ensure the physical and psychological integrityof Gustavo Castro and requested that he be allowed to leave the country. It isvery important that the Ambassador maintains the same diplomatic effort tocontinue defending the human rights of the Mexican environmentalist.We demand that the Government of Mexico exercise greaterforce and strength to ensure that the Government of Honduras guarantees the immediatedeparture of Gustavo Castro from Honduras.
We ask all to contact President of the Republic of Honduras- Phone: (504) 2290-5000 to expedite the protected exit of Castro fromHonduras.
E-mail: info at presidencia.gob.hnSecretariat for Human Rights, Justice, Interior andDecentralization of Honduras(504) 2232-7800 and (504) 2232-8900